Wednesday, December 6, 2017

E-Bikin' 3

So I've been riding every day or two for a while now. More observations:

1. Lights. It gets dark //early//. I have circuit breakers on order and lights already installed on the bike. I'll put up another post when I have everything working. Or I've set the bike on fire.

2. I finally found a situation where my brakes were a little bit inadequate. There are some fairly steep walking/bike trails around here. I'd never tried them before when I was on lung power only, and even with the boost at full power (750 watts) my legs were burning quite a bit by the time I got to the top. Then, of course, I had to get down.  On a dirt trail, 15-20MPH seems a lot faster than it does on the road. I had enough brake to slow down, but I had to use some front brake, which I normally shy away from doing. (Too many trips over the handlebars). If I'd needed to stop in a hurry, I might have been in trouble. This isn't my usual riding pattern, so it's not urgent to do the brakes. But like I said before. If the wheels give me grief and I have to build new ones, drum brakes for me.

3. When it's freezing out, wear some freakin' gloves. Even at a placid 14MPH, my fingers were going numb where they stuck out of my riding gloves. I need to investigate cold weather gear that's appropriate to biking if I'm going to keep doing this on cold days.

4. It's STILL fun. :)

-JRS

No comments:

Blog Archive